I thought I just turned 30 but I guess another year has gone by leaving me at 31. A year ago, I spent my birthday getting to know my 2-day-old infant who is now a year old! It is unfair that the first year with each new baby goes by faster and faster. The first year seemed to go by so slowly with Paul. I remember looking out the window starting at 4 pm just done with the day hoping my husband would get home early and relieve me of my motherhood duties. Maybe it was because he was a fussy baby and I had no idea what I was doing. Either way, it doesn't seem possible that I've had 367 days with my Zoey.
I remember thinking as a teenager that people in their 30's were so old but now that I am in my 30's I feel like people in their 30's are still so young. I wonder if teenagers look at me and think, "wow she is old." It is funny how perspectives change as we hit different points in our lives. I know I don't look like I am in my teens anymore but I still feel young and hope that the next 15 years of my life doesn't fly by like the last 15 has.
Before my husband started school, he used to take work off on our birthdays and we would spend the day together doing something fun. Because of school, he has very little days to take off and had to work on all of our birthdays this year:( If Paul doesn't take the day off, it's kind of just a normal day around here. I watched my friends kids in the morning, Little Paul had school in the afternoon and then his best friend from school had a birthday party at Chuckie Cheese that we couldn't miss out on. After school, the whole family went and played at Chuckie Cheese! Paul got a sitter for us when we got back and we got to go have a quiet dinner and dessert together. It was nice to get away since it is rare these days. When we got home, he rented The Vow (romantic comedy) and actually stayed awake and watched it with me. If that's not love I don't know what is. It was dark but I think I even saw some tears coming out of his eyes a couple of times during the movie.
I got a couple of gifts this year. The first was a week trip to Michigan to visit my parents. I'm so excited to see my parents. The only catch is that I have to fly there by myself with 3 kids. I don't know how much of a gift that part is. I leave early tomorrow morning so I'm going to need lots of prayers that we make the flight without everyone on the plane hating us. The second gift was the nicest email sent to me from my husband. I went to dinner with some girlfriends the night before my birthday. My husband wrote the email while I was out and sent it to me late that night so I would read it first thing birthday morning. It was better than getting any material gift (except for maybe diamonds). He will probably get mad I am blogging about this but here is a part of the letter I really like:
"I feel like your sarcastic humor has grown since we have been together. I don't remember it as much early on, but certainly you developed a unique blend of being funny and frankly, putting me in my place. When we went up to Coit Tower a year or so ago and the guy in the elevator looked at you shocked when you dryly said something about him hitting one of our kids on accident I knew you were being funny but I felt like I needed to step in and let the guy know as he squirmed in discomfort. After he described you as spunky or something to that effect and said to me, "Good for you!" I completely agree, good for me! I love your humor and love that you have an opinion and that you are bright and that you complain (sometimes). My whole life I wanted a "real" life and a "real" relationship and "real" love. I have all of this.
It really boils down to this: I can't imagine having any other life partner and eventual eternal companion than you. You are the love of my life, the mother of our children, my personality flaw moderator, my single biggest source of happiness, and my reason for living."
Now onto Mother's Day. Whoever came up with Mother's Day is the smartest person alive or dead. It is nice to have a day to get spoiled and use as an excuse to get your spouse and kids to do things for you. For example, "Paul, will you please go upstairs and bring me my phone. Don't forget it's Mother's Day." Yep, works every time. It is also awesome to have your kids sing you songs and make you all kinds of crafts including self portraits. At Paul's school the other day, the kids did a fashion show and dessert for all the moms. How awesome is that? It was so cute.
Well, I woke up and did a little workout in my room undisturbed. Then I took a shower and walked down to heart-shaped pancakes, strawberries, a blueberry bagel with cream cheese and a cup of raspberry Emergen-C. Now is the time to be jealous.
After Church, we had a picnic dinner outside in the backyard and then had some birthday cake. Couldn't have asked for a better day!
I can't express how excited I am to see my own mother tomorrow. She is one of the hardest working and most giving mamas I know. She lives for her children and I hope I am half the mother she was and continues to be to me.
Thank you to all the other mothers in my life that have shaped me into the wonderful person I am today;)

5 comments:
That was the best blog post you've ever posted. It made me really emotional. I think you have such a great perspective on life and what's important. I think you're one of the funniest people I know. Thanks for being my sassy friend/sister. I love you.
Happy birthday and Mother's Day! Way to go on best e-mail/gift ever, Paul! Have a great trip! I know the flight will be fine. :) Miss you!
You are probably up in the air right now. I'm praying for you.
I had to look up The Vow and then I say, oh yeh, that movie. I never remember movies, but what a sweet,tale of a devoted husband like yours. That puts a permanent smile on your face, like forever.
What a wonderful blog. Thanks.
Did you make it, did you make it???!!! 3 kiddos by yourself! wow. So I loved this post. Everything about it. I loved the note from paul, and your thoughts about motherhood and turning older. I feel so lucky to have you as a friend and you are truly an amazing friend for watching my kids on your big day. Your the best and I too love your humor.
eunnie. how long have I loved thee? so so long. you're super old now. remember when I stayed with you guys like a bunch of times? and we became bffs? and you guys treated me so nice and we watched that 70s show? and you let me borrow your car and clothes and I sprained my ankle trying to jump your fence?
oh man. we have had such good times. and you have been such a good friend to me. I love you and I am so lucky my brother got lucky and married you.
Post a Comment