Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A little bad luck

I apologize for the lack of blog entries in the last couple weeks but things have been a little crazy around here.

A couple weekends ago, Baby Paul woke up from his afternoon nap with a temperature of 105! We gave him some Tylenol but it did not seem to lower his temperature enough. We ended up taking him to the Urgent Care that evening. We were told he had pneumonia and he had to be hooked up to an iv for fluid and anti-biotics. After about 8 hours, they discharged us. We ended up returning to the Urgent Care the following day to follow-up with the Pediatrician. Unfortunately, Paul's fever was again at 105 degrees. It seemed like we could get his fever down with Motrin but it would go back up to 105 after it wore out. After several hours at the Urgent Care, we were discharged a second time. We were able to keep Paul's fever under control at home with medication and luke-warm baths. His fever was better on the third day and completely gone the fourth day. He still has a runny nose and cough but he is his happy self again. We are so glad he is okay. It was a really scary thing for us to go through. He is just so little and helpless. It was especially hard for us to see him so weak and uncomfortable.

Last night, we had another traumatic experience that sent us to the emergency room but this time it was for me (mom). I was chopping some vegetables for dinner when I chopped a little piece of my left index finger off. I actually chopped a piece of my finger off that we later threw away in the trash (sorry so graphic). It was an extremely painful bloody experience but hopefully my finger will heal okay. It is a little difficult today taking care of Paul with my finger in this condition especially since he seems to really enjoy batting at it. I'm also bummed that I wont be able to play guitar hero for awhile. I think the healing process is going to be a long one on this.

Despite all of our recent drama with injuries/illnesses, I am grateful for such loving family and friends. Thank you for all of your calls, emails and prayers. We love you all. Hopefully, we wont have to visit a hospital or urgent care anytime soon.

My wrapped finger.

6 comments:

Miss Bear said...

Yikes!! Sounds like a lot is going on in your house! Hopefully everyone feels better (and heals) asap!
Love you guys!!

PS..I do think it is kinna funny that Paul bats at your finger though..cute little boy!

krisjane said...

Wow!!! You guys have had some crazy experiences lately!!! I'm glad baby Paul is doing better, that is so scary when babies get sick. I hope your finger heals fast too!! I'm so sorry about that!! Hang in there! :)

julia said...

holy cow! things have been crazy at the proctors. glad baby p is feeling better and you still have a finger. did you get my msg about jan's movie where i fake chopping my finger off w/ketchup? funny timing..

Jessica said...

How sad! I hope you all get to feeling better soon!

Sarahp said...

Wow! Good luck growing that finger back!! Sorry to hear that, but glad I found your blog. I recently started one, and I hope you don't mind if I linked yours. Ours is parkerpressrelease.blogspot.com.
I think your blog is adorable, great pictures!
Sarah

Lorie said...

Oh my goodness, both of things sound horrible. That must have been so sad to watch baby Paul be sick, and I can't imagine how bad that hurt to cut your finger. Hopefully, your bad luck is over now.